Since its baseline research project in 2010, MCT has worked to ground its projects in sound research, as well as to contribute to local and international understanding of children’s issues and community development.
Using participative and community-based methodologies, MCT has hosted outside research projects led by volunteer researchers from the U.S. and U.K. These projects feed back directly into improving and guiding MCT services in Taroudant.
Past research projects:
- 2010 – “A different path: Street and working children in Morocco”
- 2012 – “Toolkit: Working with special needs children at Lalla Amina orphanage” (Tomi Makanjuola)
- 2013 – Headcount of street-connected children in Taroudant, Southern Morocco
- 2013 – Contribution: Consortium for Street Children’s “Shadow report on the rights of children: street children in Morocco” for the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child’s 67th Session
- 2013 – Contribution: Consortium for Street Children’s report on the right of the child to birth registration for the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
- 2014 – A quantitative head count of children at risk of street-related behaviours and dangers in Taroudant, Morocco (Jacob Perry)
- 2014 – Contribution: “Nothing about us without us: A toolkit for working or wanting to work with adolescent street-connected girls”
- 2014 – Rapport: “Le droit à la déclaration de naissance au Maroc : Un projet pilote au sud Maroc”
- 2014 – Participatory research with street-connected children (Connie Wu)
- 2015 – Consultation des familles sur la question des familles d’accueil au Maroc
- 2015 – “Recommandations pour assurer le droit à la déclaration de naissance”
- 2015 – Guide to civil registration in Morocco
- 2016 – “‘Timarghin N’wourgh’: Un groupe de femmes au sud du Maroc” (Sophia Booth)
- 2017 – Guide of project CARE (Citizen’s Access to Registration)
- 2017 – “Community perspectives on child protection in Taroudant” (Rosalinda Whybrow)
- 2017 – “Single Mothers in Morocco: Social Stigma and Struggle for Identity” (Lucilla Berwick)
Current research projects:
- 2016-2018 – The views of children in southern Morocco in relation to non-kin foster care (Partnership with the University Ibn Zohr Agadir’s Law Department and the University College London)
- 2017-2018 – Project D.A.R.
Future research projects:
- 2018 – “The Mother’s Groups: Assessing acceptability and impact of a parenting intervention in Southern Morocco”
- 2018 – “Exploring the facilitators and obstacles to developing foster care as an alternative to institutional care in southern Morocco”
- 2018 – “Action Research; Child sponsorship and child rights”
University researchers are welcome to contact us about research projects that could fit into our own research goals. Email email@example.com.
Volunteers with previous research experience are also welcome to inquire about volunteering opportunities with current research projects. Click here to read more about volunteering with MCT in Taroudant.